(Added) sugar By any other name still has the same effect on fat loss – it slows it down considerably by effecting hunger, blood sugar hormone and insulin levels . If you want to create a truly “fit” kitchen, you want to minimize the added sugars in your food. The following are all “added sugar” by other names.
Fructose (you can still eat fruit although it has no sugar added)
Corn Syrup and worse,
High Fructose Corn Syrup
Honey (natural and not bad for you alone but snuck into foods along with other, processed sugars, not so much)
Surprising Sources of Added Sugar:
dried fruit and trail mixes
(most) processed carbs from a bag or a box (including cereals, breads, crackers)
If You haven’t already read my article and “9 Surprising Sources Of Sugar” you should do it now for a better understanding of how ditching the chemical laden processed foods will make your fat loss soar. Follow this advice for a month and I guarantee a leaner, more energetic, less bloated you !
If you want a flat, sexy stomach, this is what you want in your shopping cart: This list contains the highest nutrient content per calorie and those foods which will decrease hunger, lower cholesterol and encourage your body to become a fat burning machine. Yes, those are my 46 year old abs and yes, this is my weekly shopping list. Later, you will see what’s in my fridge and freezer.
You’ve pretty much tried every diet and workout trend you’ve ever heard of, from the impractical to the to the down right crazy yet your “skinny jeans” just keep getting tighter. So, what’s the deal?
Most likely, out-of-whack hormones—like estrogen, insulin, and even growth hormones from chemicals and additives in the foods you eat every day. (even “diet” and “healthy” foods) . Couple this with hidden sugars in the foods we eat every day thinking they are “healthy” and it’s no wonder Americans are getting fatter and fatter while the ” Fitness & Diet” industry gets richer and richer.
The good news is that the chemicals that control our weight, moods, and even where we store fat on our bodies can be balanced naturally and it starts in your kitchen.
First, if you want to get rid of that stubborn fat from your butt, thighs and arms and lose those last 10 -15 lbs, you must STOP with the steady state cardio immediately. No more treadmills, elipticals or steppers. Conventional aerobic exercises are not very effective ways to lose weight and will train your body to STORE fat on top of inhibiting your fat burning hormones.
Study after study over the past 10 years show the efficacy of metabolic resistance and high intensity interval training and over steady state cardio.
In the last 10 years, research has shown us two very important things about exercising for fat loss. First, lifting heavier weights for full body movements or body weight, total body movements lead to burning more calories after the workout when compared to old school lifting programs or cranking out rep after rep with a light weight.
Second, the more muscles you use during an exercise, the more calories you burn during your workout and after. A study of women showed that when they used heavier weights and lower reps for compound movements they burned more calories in the hours after training. This is called EPOC. (Exercise post oxygen consumption)
Doing hours and hours of ”cardio” each week is a great way to go nowhere in your fat loss program while wasting a lot of time and most likely incurring injury. Stop worrying about exercising in a certain heart rate zone for fat loss or for cardiovascular endurance or how many miles you walk.
Unless you have nothing better to do with yourself than spend 5 plus hours a week doing cardio with minimal results (which, long term lead to joint damage on top of fat storage) there are far more effective ways to reach your goals.
Step 1: Forget about how many calories the machine says you’ve burned (they are rarely accurate), it’s all about MAXIMUM calorie burn and EPOC
Step 2: Get off the Elliptical, treadmills and steppers for good.
Step 3: Choose the right total body exercises for your body type, fitness level and goals, exercise at the right intensity, and perform shorter bouts of metabolism-boosting interval training.
Step 4: Eat to burn more fat which is a topic for a whole other blog post but will account for 70 ish % of your results and includes eating more protein, good fats and limiting processed foods.
You can read more about TEF and how to eat for fat loss at Fat Loss University here: http://custombodies.blogspot.com/2014/07/fit-tip-tuesday-eat-smart-not-less.html
If you want to speed your metabolism and reshape, you need to do 3 things.
- Eat More Protein:
- Step away from the treadmills, steppers and ellipticals
- Start a fitness program that includes plenty of high intensity interval training and whole body resistance trainingFor more detailed information and research studies on EPOC and TEF you can read them at Fat Loss University here http://custombodies.blogspot.com/2014/06/as-your-trainer-thursday-how-do-i-fix.html
Copyright © Custom Bodies, Inc. 2014
Article written by Dianne Villano, an MExPhys, NASM CFT , author of “How To Lose Fat & Reshape Your Body in 21 Days” and “The Ultimate Belly Blast Program”. She is president of Custom Bodies which has been serving the Tampa Bay with cutting edge nutrition & fitness programs for 18 years. Miss Villano is a frequent speaker on health and fitness related topics with articles published in over 20 media outlets. You can grab a copy of her Special Report “22 Big Fat Lies Keeping You From The Body You Want” at http://mypersonalfitnesscoach.com/fitness-freebies.html
If you are like most women, especially most women over 40, getting rid of belly fat seems like impossibility. As a woman over 40 myself, I’m here to tell you, it is not only possible but is much easier than you think. Follow these tips, toss away these myths and I guarantee a flatter, more toned mid section before you know it.
- Pack in the Protein – Not only does Protein help to add body sculpting, butt lifting muscle but it helps you feel fuller at each meal and curb hunger. Our clients generally eat 20-30% of their daily calories from protein a day. Eat a protein source at EVERY meal and try to incorporate some into snacks. You can check out my list of best protein sources HERE (https://www.facebook.com/notes/custom-bodies-the-bay-areas-1-choice-for-fitness-nutrition-consulting/best-lean-proteins-ie-highest-protein-per-calorie/428890373830320 ) . If you want to know why this so important, you can check out my blog post about protein and fat loss here http://custombodies.blogspot.com/2013/12/fit-tip-tuesday-get-enough-protein.html
- Ditch the boxed and pre packed foods (yes, even “diet” foods) – They often loaded with chemicals and preservatives which can wreak havoc with your fat loss efforts, and are full of salt which causes bloat and puffiness.
- Don’t starve yourself – You can flatten your stomach and drop a full dress sizes or two in a month without taking drastic measures like low calorie diets or crazy 6 day a week fitness programs. Less than 1,200 calories is usually not enough to support your basal metabolism and thus will slow your body’s calorie-burning ability and cause your body to burn muscle for energy. Very low calorie diets will help you lose weight in the short term but when your body has had enough of being starved, you will often binge , gaining all of your weight back and looking down at a MORE bloated belly.
- Avoid Sugar Free Foods – Artificially sweetened foods contain a lot of sugar alcohol which causes bloating
- Eat your fruits & Veggies – Freshness Counts – The packaging and processing generally found in “convenience” foods generally reduce the nutrient values of foods and substantially raise the caloric content. The simple sugars found in processed foods generally leave people feeling hungry and craving carbohydrates . Fruits & vegetables are nutritionally dense and full of fiber leaving you fuller longer
- Follow the 90% to 10% rule. If you watch what you eat 90% of the time, the other 10% is not not going to effect your belly busting efforts. The influx in calories from that 10% will also stoke your metabolism, keep you from feeling deprived and keep you on track7. Ditch These Myths:Myth #1: You need to train your abs everyday.
Fact: When it comes to training, your abs are like every other muscle. In order to get the most benefit, you have to train them hard and allow sufficient rest between sessions. You also have to make them work harder. They also grow just like any other muscle and training them disproportionately will cause them to grow disproportionate to your other musculature which can cause muscle imbalances and other issues.
Myth #2 : Doing sit ups, twists & sidebends will trim your waistline.
Fact : You can’t reduce waistline fat simply by doing ab exercises. Spot reduction just does not happen! Yes, you need to do ab exercises to develop the abdominal muscles. They need to be strengthened just like your glutes or your biceps but in order to actually see those ab muscles, you need to strip the fat that’s covering them.
Myth #3: You need to do many more reps for ab exercises.
Fact: This is just not so. The most common training mistake when it comes to the abs is ineffective exercises. The next is poor technique. Exercises like crunches, sit ups and leg lifts are old school and the majority of the time, the actual abdominals is not even being worked. Substitute old school, ineffective exercises like sit ups, crunches, leg lefts or , god forbid that archaic ab crunch machine for exercises like planks, ball rolls , burpees or even good old fashioned push ups and I will guarantee you flatter more defined abs in no time.
Copyright © Custom Bodies, Inc. 2014
Article written by Dianne Villano, an MExPhys, NASM CFT , author of “How To Lose Fat & Reshape Your Body in 21 Days” and “The Ultimate Belly Blast Program”. She is president of Custom Bodies and has been serving the Tampa Bay with cutting edge nutrition & fitness programs for 18 years. Miss Villano is a frequent speaker on health and fitness related topics with articles published in over 20 media outlets. You can grab a copy of herSpecial Report “22 Big Fat Lies Keeping You from The Body You Want” at http://mypersonalfitnesscoach.com/fitness-freebies.html
Obesity is widespread these days all over the world and people are desperately trying to find out ways and means of losing weight effectively and quickly. It could be due to health reasons like diabetes, hypertension, etc that almost always accompanies obesity or it could even be due to a desire to possess a faultless body in healthy condition. Whatever the reason, the search for a perfect weight loss plan is always on.
When it comes to searching for a perfect weight loss plan, the internet is the first option. A search in Google can get you hundreds of weight loss plans that guarantee success in a prescribed time. Most of them require you to part with your hard earned money and the free advices that are also available in plenty does little to pass on required information. Moreover, the huge number of sites that cater to this specific purpose makes one really overwhelmed and confused too. How can you find out a plan which suits you and really makes you shed off your excess fat? How do you recognize scam sites and avoid being duped? There seem to be diet plans right from water diets to cabbage soup diet. What exactly do you choose?
Well, be sensible and look at it practically. If you desire to lose weight either for health or beauty reasons, you need to make sure that you stick on to two main things:
- Alter your eating habits.
- Exercise regularly and consistently.
Faulty eating habits are almost always the culprit in the rising levels of obesity. Right from childhood, we tend to cultivate wrong eating habits which end up as excess fat stored in our bodies. First of all, you need to assess the sort of food that you are eating. Does it contain too much processed items filled with unwanted calories? Are you hooked up on fries and soda? Are you heavily into sweet, creamy coffee and doughnuts? Are chocolates and cookies your weakness? Be true to yourself and write down a sensible weight loss diet plan which you will stick on to. Include more of wholegrain products, fruits and vegetables. Cut down on excess salt and sugar and go easy on junk food.
It would also be great to identify if you are eating simply out of boredom or tiredness or emotional disturbances, instead of having food when just plain hungry. If so, get it corrected and eat at proper times only. If required, rope in the help of a counselor or psychologist who will guide you accordingly.
A perfect weight loss plan is incomplete without proper exercises and it is imperative that you sweat out all those calories you consume, to reach your ideal weight. The best way to start would be to include brisk walks in your daily regimen along with guided exercises in your local gym. Yoga is an excellent way to enrich both your physical and mental health and can get you into shape in no time.
© 2011 by Overweight.net. All rights reserved. No part of this document may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without prior written permission of Overweight.net.